Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Toddler Anatomy 101

Caed has really been into the names of body parts the past few months. He apparently had gotten bored with the typical arm, leg, etc. and began pointing to/asking the name of things like ankles, wrists, knees, elbows, etc. Of course, with potty training this summer, he was also very curious about "his parts". When he asked me, I would always refer to everything down there as his business, you know- HIS business and no one else's kind of thing. Well, this turned out to be another area where Patrick and I didn't necessarily share the same parenting opinion. He felt that Caed should know the technical terms. Great!!!

Anyway, while playing outside this morning, Caed apparently had a pain in his foot/ankle area. He comes running up to me saying, "Mommy it hurts!" and pointing to his foot/ankle. So I ask, "What hurts? Where does it hurt?". His response, "You know, right here on my testicle" while pointing to his ankle. That is Toddler Anatomy 101....

2 comments:

Christi said...

Oh my! That is so funny. I had to read it to Ryan. We haven't hit the body part talk yet. I am not sure what we will call her parts? Ryan and I say Hoo Ha? I am not sure if that is appropriate for a child though?

Kim said...

You cracked me up with the story about the testicles! Katelyn just calls her part her pee-pee for now. I guess there are some benefits of him knowing what testicles are.. Remember the time I told my students about the word egotistical and one of my students kept thinking I said testicles?? Then he said, "aren't testicles what an octopus has on his legs?"